Tuesday, June 25, 2013

it happens.

Saturday afternoon as I was driving 100 miles north to my homeland of Chino for a couple of family parties, jamming out to Yeezus and giggling at my hipster angel Justin Vernon singing obscenties, I felt my car slip a little. I assumed it was the difference between the old road and the freshly paved road I was now traveling over. But my car just. wouldn't. go. In the fast last on the highway. I nearly shit my pants.

Luckily I was near an exit that had both a Jiffy Lube and another mechanic. The guys at the mechanic scanned the magical computer wand situation thing to discover what was wrong with it but that they couldn't fix. AND THEN THEY CLEARED THE ERROR. So that I wouldn't be able to report to the next mechanic that I was now heading to. And did not direct me anywhere or offer any other advice, but assured me that I would be fine driving on the freeway to my destination, which had now become my hometown mechanic about 30 miles down the highway.

So I hopped back on the freeway and NOPE. This bitch wasn't going to go over 35 miles per hour. So I shit my pants again, pulled off the freeway and hopped on Yelp to find the nearest mechanic that was open. Oh, yea sure come in! We can take a look at it. 

And upon my arrival at the least-safe mechanic I could've chosen, Oh no we can't look at that today. I JUST SPOKE TO YOU ON THE PHONE ARE YOU HIGH RIGHT NOW?

Tow truck it was.

Photo by tiff_gee

Guys, when it comes to anything that is remotely related to finances I cry. Because I am not a millionaire. DON'T BE SO SURPRISED. So when I got the news that my transmission was in fact dead and that I had no vehicle 100 miles from home, I cried my ass off. In between all of the shitting of the pants. 

So for the next few weeks Justin and I are sharing a car like savages. The only problem is that I typically leave for work as he is waking up. To pull a card from my boo Chris' book, Saint Justin is waking up early so I can drop him off at work and drive down to work. SAINT JUSTIN is also researching cars for me because that is what he did in his past life. He was a car. 

THE SILVER LINING? Because there is one. Right? I get a new car. I'll take any new car advice you have in the comments. FOR FREE because you know, FINANCES.

22 comments:

  1. bless your heart! i just bought a new car back in january. it was not fun, but i hope for your sake, that justin can help you do all the dirty work :) good luck, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be crying/shitting my pants, too!

    I'm sad we won't have our Pontiac love anymore, but I'm excited that you're getting a new whip - as Kelsey would say.

    I know nothing about cars, except that I want a Kia Optima and I will sell my body to make car payments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. TIFF... car problems, AM I RIGHT!?!?! I would have FREAKED if my car wouldn't 'go' on the highway, too. SCARY SHIZ.

    My advice for car shopping is look online at dealership inventories before you go (once you know what kind of car you are looking for). It makes it easier to see what options and packages they have before you even get there... before the salesmen try to talk you into crazy additions you would never want/need. I knew what dealership I wanted to buy from and found the exact car on their website inventory that morning, and was signing the papers that night. THANK GOD FOR THE INTERNET.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl if my car died right now....I'd die. I'd be beyond pants shitting. I totally get the finance part of it. Let's all be grateful for Saint Justin and hope you find an awesome new ride soonsies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Car issues are one of the only things that can make me completely drop my effing basket. THEY ARE SO EXPENSIVE, and when you buy a new one, it loses its value by more than half as soon as you leave the log.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are you looking at buying a new car? We looked at the Cruzes and the Dodge Darts they get super good gas mileages. I mean we want a Honda Civic but they are more spendy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh man, suck!! And doubly sad because I used to drive one of those Pontiacs, and I loved it. Probably my favorite car I've ever owned. I had to sell it when I moved to Alaska because, well, snow/ice + 2WD = no bueno.

    My advice...just do your research. When I bought my first car by myself (the aforementioned Pontiac) I looked on Autotrader to see what people were selling them for. I found at least 10-15 of the exact same car within 100 miles, all for $3000 less than the dealer wanted. I printed all those out, took them to the dealer, and told them exactly what I'd pay (slightly more than a private seller but definitely not as much as they were asking). They said no, so I turned to walk out, and...just like that, like MAGIC, they decided they COULD take what I was offering. So yeah, my main piece of advice? Figure out what you're willing to pay, and as long as it's fair, be willing to walk away. More often than not, they'd rather sell a car than watch you walk out the door.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tiffany! Hugs! I'm so sorry you had to go through that! I'm really glad you're safe and your car didn't just like stop in the middle of the highway, but wtf! And I so feel you on the finances thing, I would have been balling and hyperventilating on the side of the road. At least you got that Saint Justin to help you out ;) You may have already thought/tried this but AAA is a lifesaver in those situations. I'm not sure how much it costs because I'm on a family plan but if you have it you can basically call them from anywhere and they will come get you and help fix everything, for a discount. As for new car buying - I have only ever had one car and it was a clunker so I have no help to give there! But I'm sure it will work out :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMFG...excuse me. I would have felt horrible, too, and would have cried too. Justin is a saint, that is for sure. Fingers crossed you get one soon. I'm planning on getting one in August (finally!!!). ;) As I am not a millinoiare I had a lot to save for...grrrrrr

    ReplyDelete
  10. hahahaha "because that is what he did in his past life. He was a car." Oh Saint Justin, this is really nice of you. I hope you get a fabulous new car for Tiffany soon so you and J can sleep in.

    ReplyDelete
  11. uggggh this makes my heart break. Our tranny went out on our truck a few months ago RIGHT AFTER we had to replace the motor. I could have killed someone. seven grand later, I'm putting the bitch up on the internet and am getting a new car too.

    it's lucky I have a company truck for work, because the whole sharing a car thing would have NEVER worked for us.

    good luck with the search. my condolences. annnnnd I have no advice about cars. none whatsoever. I know. I'm useless.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so sorry. My car konked out on the highway once and it scared the bejesus out of me. I barely trusted my car again (and I love my car...well I did. Oliver died a few years back. my he rust in peace).

    Toyotas last forever. that is my only advice.

    ReplyDelete
  13. car issues are the worse! I always cry when it comes to finances also. My husbands transmission went last year and we sold the car on Craigslist for a couple hundred dollars as a "parts car". You could do that and make a little money out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh no!! I'm sorry! Well, it's a good think you are getting a new car..cause inside the old one must be rank from all the shitting of your pants...but yeah, Toyota's run for days...(as I knock on wood..cause I would have a crying, nervous, drunken breakdown if my car wouldn't work anymore)

    ReplyDelete
  15. that sucks!! i would have freaked out!! i hate cars...but a plus for a new (or new, but slighlty used) car is that you won't have to worry about that happening again :) glad you're ok

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nooooooo! I am so sorry, girl! So this transmission thing can't be fixed??? I would have cried too....and crapped my pants on the highway. I am glad you are okay though....that's the most important thing!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would have shit a few times myself. I was in a car accident in college and my car took weeks to be repaired, so I borrowed my grandma's old four door beast. On my way back to school, 2 1/2 hours away, it died at 1:00 am on the side of I-5. Horrible!

    Yay for a new car though!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yikes! I don't like dealing with car people, I never know how much stuff is "supposed" to cost so I have no idea if I'm being ripped off. And honestly, spending money on something I can't eat/drink/wear is always painful.

    Happy hunting!

    ReplyDelete
  19. OH TIFF. You poor thing. I would've LOST IT if my car broke down on the highway. At least you weren't alone! My transmission went out on my old car when I was in high school, back when I had no idea what a transmission was. It is a totally pants-shitting worthy situation. But only because I had to ride the bus instead of drive.

    Are you getting the Honda I spied on instagram?! I love Hondas. It's bang for your buck. Also, I do the same finance crying thing. Just ask James. It's a problem. My advice is to buy a certified pre-owned. We bought our CRV in January, and it's a 2010 with hardly any mileage, so we got a super good deal because it was just old enough to depreciate a ton yet new enough to look amazing and not have issues. Does that make sense? I'm not 100% sure I understand what I just said.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Shitting of the pants. Love it. My sister and I always tell each other we are shitting our pants when we are excited about something. Sorry abt your car :(

    ReplyDelete

We just became best friends.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...