If you have a pulse, you've probably heard
Somebody That I Used to Know by Gotye. If you haven't, dear god where have you been? I cannot escape this song that I originally had a deep, dirty kind of love for. Which is unfortunate because, well GOTYE. That voice. Those piercing eyes (Hello, lover! It's not your fault, pretty one. There is a such thing as loving a song too much, radio.).
Today's post isn't about those piercing eyes though. It's about the other voice on that song. The female voice that starts off so timid before rising into full-blown anguish. That voice belongs to
Kimbra. This exquisite New Zealand native knocks all other pop "princesses" down with her soulful voice and insightful lyrics. And holy crap, this girl is gorgeous.
 |
| image via kimbramusic.com |
Settle Down is one of my favorite tracks. The musically and lyrically simple tune boldly showcases Kimbra's powerful voice. With the exception of the creepy dolls, this video KILLS IT.
If you're into funky, soulful pop that wasn't created in a factory then Kimbra is your girl.
You're the third person to rave about her! I kinda heard her stuff in a car once but now I will really check her out!
ReplyDeleteShe's someone I've been meaning to check out and now thanks to you, I have! I love her voice and I'm thinking the creepy dolls are a great picture of her.Pretty on the outside but there's something dark about her. (I love analyzing music videos and dreams, now whether I'm accurate or not, that's another story.) I love it. Thanks for sharing, once again you've introduced me to someone fabulous.
ReplyDeleteYes, finally someone talking about awesome music! ;) I knew a little about her and had heard her before but now I really must check out more... :)
ReplyDeleteThanks!
i'm so glad i'm not the only one obsessed with kimbra. i too had a dirty kinda love for gotye's song but that was because, like i said to everyone, i loved the girl's part best. her voice is just so wow! so full of power! i love it!!!
ReplyDeleteOk...I commenting....wait for it....wait for it....hehehe
ReplyDelete