Cohabitating brings with it the interesting task of combining decor. Luckily, my boyfriend has decent taste in decor and nothing is overly MANLY or disgustingly bachelory. Unlike the last place I moved in to in which I begged to remove the images of nearly nude women from the walls. That should've been sign #1.
Anyways. I have what you might call "peculiar" taste in decor. I have a deep, deep love for the kitsch. And a passion for vintage. Anything with animals? Bought. And I have a total boner for mid-century. Don't act like you're not impressed.
And Justin prefers things to be orderly, minimal, and what I've dubbed "geek chic." I don't oppose his geek items in the least. Well, the majority of them anyways. So when I email him items that I would like for OUR apartment, my soul is usually crushed by his responses:
Animal heads are tacky! This isn't my grandma's house! I don't like a lot of knick-knacks!To which I reply:
You're stiffiling my KITSCH!and my favorite:
This house is a prison. On planet BULLSHIT.So this post is basically an ode to the items I should no longer purchase and display in an adult apartment. Because along with cohabitating comes compromise and I guess I like Justin more than those glittery antlers, as glorious as they may be.
Cohabitation compromise is THE WORST.
ReplyDeleteLet's talk about how Chris and I got into a full blown argument over the living room "accent color." It wasn't pretty. Pretty funny though...seeing a 6'2 guy, covered in tattoos, talking about accent colors.
Best of luck!
I am so all about that mint deer head with sparkly antlers.
ReplyDeleteLandon would never be down for that.
men. always killing the kitsch.
Thankfully John could care less what I put in the house. As long as it's clean he has no complaints. My best friend's parents had a bunch of deer heads on their walls. It always creeped me out. And now she does too. And her son had a dino head on his wall.
ReplyDeleteI think those glitter antlers should be purchased immediately! And those lamps...it's okay to get just one. Compromise, right? Go ahead and be a rebel! ;)
ReplyDeleteUm that balloon animal lamp is the coolest thing EVER!
ReplyDeleteYou know how much I love the glittery antlers! GET IT! Jacob hates animal heads too. Why? It's so manly...right?
ReplyDeleteThat is come crazy cool stuff. I love the deer head and the french bull dog lamp!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete**Must learn to proof before hitting "Publish"**
DeleteEcosystem-in-a-bottle is not kitsch. It is a CHANCE TO PLAY GOD. Tell your boything so. He may well reconsider. Besides, ees so preeetty...
I simply can't get enough of your use of the word "kitsch". Also, I am scouring my own house for an appropriate place to put that glitter-antlered beast because as soon as I saw it I realized it is everything my life/decor has been missing.
ReplyDeleteI've been to planet bullshit. Next time I visit I'll send you a post card.
ReplyDeleteMy hubs has pretty good taste too. It makes things much easier.
Congrats and can't wait for stories which are bound to come.
I was lucky Matt moved in with me so it was all my stuff...unfortunately I had to buy Ikea because I was a poor teacher at the time. I can't wait for a house so I can truly decorate :) Love some of the kitsch :)
ReplyDeletetoo cute!! i wish i was a good decorator, unfortunatly our apartment is so teeny i kind of just gave up! once we move into a house i will tackle the whole decorating thang :)
ReplyDeleteI'm still confused as to where you and your (admittedly awesome) decor is going when the Meoww and Justin move in together...
ReplyDeleteHa! I love this. Those sparkly antlers? They're BEGGING to be on my walls. Animal head things are completely ugly and wrong in all the right ways. I'm all about some mid century kitsch. ALL about it.
ReplyDeleteNEVER enough knick knacks.