Monday, July 22, 2013

Embracing the obvious.

When I originally told friends and family that Justin was a video game designer and yes, he does game himself, they looked at me like I had gone fully mental. Did I forget what happened LAST time I dated a gamer? Um, no. One doesn't easily forget waking up at 4 in the fucking morning to scream at someone to stop screaming at the television.

Not only have I accepted the gaming, but I have also accepted a lot of geek culture that was always knocking at my door. I would just never let it in because I was far too cool for that kind of shit. SPOILER ALERT: I'm not. 

It started with Game of Thrones and those baby dragons. Then a Lord of the Rings viewing that turned me into the world's biggest fan of Gollum. A deep love for Archer soon developed. Arrested Development. Spaced. SHERLOCK. CUMBERBATCH. And currently, Battlestar Galactica. You guys, its a hardcore sci-fi show and I CRIED during an episode the other night. Cried real tears during a sci-fi show.

Last week we attended w00tstock 5.0 — a "geek variety show" put together by Wil Wheaton (geek Jesus) and Adam Savage (of Mythbusters fame). Within the first two minutes George RR Martin had walked on stage and smashed a guitar (and also Neil Gaiman and while I am not familiar with his work I know that he is basically a god) and tears welled up in my eyes and I threw my hands up to my face and completely FANGIRLED.

This spectacular evening of geekdom also introduced me to Garfunkel & Oates — the hilarious duo behind this not entirely safe for work song. Girls can be funny, you guys! And while you're at it, check out "The Loophole," which makes me blush so I'm not posting it here.



At one point in the evening Paul & Storm introduced The Best 36 Seconds on the Internet. (Also, I'm sure you've seen this but just in case you have not — The Best 36 Seconds on the Internet.)



And this is when I had my epiphany. The heavens parted, the nerdy giggling silenced, and I thought to myself, This too is my favorite video on the internet.

At that exact moment, Justin turned and looked at me with only a mildly smug smile on his face and said, "These are your people, honey. This is your home."

 And it was. It is. I can't deny it anymore. Geek culture is a part of my soul.

Now if you'll excuse me I need to go watch the above video at least 6 more times.

21 comments:

  1. oh. my. god.
    thank you for making my monday morning slightly less 'monday mourning'-ish.
    i just want to watch the last 4 seconds over and over and over and over again.

    oh. and also, garfunkel and oates- hilarious. ive seen a couple of their videos before. im going to have to watch that one when i get home

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES - that cat.
    i love it. i love it so much.
    and the geek culture? holler.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MFD is into the geek culture a bit, and I've gotten some of it from him. LOVE THAT VIDEO. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you are fully embracing the geekdom. You two are so cute.

    Also, I am just realizing I never replied to your email with this video from Friday-- because I got distracted watching A HUNDRED of their other videos. Those girls are hilarious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. omg i'm a huge geek so it makes me extremely happy to know that you're a fellow geek. i had to wean myself off of video games back when i was in college because i spent 3 whole days away from class playing starcraft (literally, i was up for three days) and nearly got kicked out of school because of it (put on probation instead). so no more games for me :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha that is awesome. I think it's good to be around people that like the same things- even if you don't want to admit you like the same things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel your pain. A few months ago my husband begged me to go to NYC Comic Con for our one year anniversary.... hell no

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hadn't realized I was a geek OR a raging sports fanatic until I met Landon. Like, the signs were completely dormant until we started dating.

    and, I don't remember how I came across that video when it first hit the internet, but I am not joking when I say I watched it eleven times in a row scream/cry/laughing. Even to this day it has to be my favorite video on the internet. that and when Grace helbig cuts her own bangs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a geek too. I love the syfy chanel, and Battlestar is the whip. I will shush you during Star Trek, and I've seen all its different series. And I don't care. I'm still cool af :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. WHAT? Why do I have to wait until my lunch break to be able to watch these videos? #thestruggleisreal

    Embrace the geek... PS: Google "Geek vs Nerd" ...let's discuss.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is soo cool, I love Will & his wife on twitter, the W00stock looked like fun! Also, was not expecting that from the cat...hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Embrace if girl... I am not fighting my inner geek anymore...we are actually planning a trip to ComicCon next year..

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am totally a geek. I love computers and technology and reading silly books. Let's embrace it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Garfunkel and Oates - I saw them live at the comedy festival in Melbourne and they were amazing!!! I'd also high recommend Pregnant Women are Smug...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this post. I love the geeks. I love Wil Wheaton!

    Except, I'll admit, I fell asleep during Lord of the Rings. Go ahead. Stone me.

    I am so glad you found your people.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My head is slightly tilted to the side, as I think.. "i have never hated any movie more then Lord of the Rings.. well, Star Wars.." You're going to be Dwight K. Shrute before you know it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You know what has to come next right? Doctor. Who. Also, I have very fond memories of us all watching that video over and over on Alyssa's computer :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. damn it. I had a really sentimental comment to this post and I lost it. Reader's Digest Version--I'm happy for you. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Garfunkel & Oates! You've never heard of them before? Well, thank God someone took you under their wing. Haha! I think Jacob must just live on the cusp of geekdom, because I know a bit about Wil, Neil, and of course Adam Savage, but I've never heard of w00tstock. Also, he doesn't like Archer, but I keep meaning to check it out. I love all the people involved.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You have made the lives of me and all 6 of my roommates SOOOO much better because of those 36 seconds :D

    ReplyDelete

We just became best friends.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...