Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Whatever Wednesdays numero tres: When would I live?

My fellow Losties will know this - it's not where you are, but WHEN you are. Listen, I was annoyed by it too.

The broads in charge of WHATEVER WEDNESDAYS ask, if you could live in a different decade what would it be and why?
WW

I've thought a lot about this. At least for like 4 minutes or so. My mind immediately tells me the early 60s, think season one of Mad Men. Maybe like late 50s early 60s. Can my decades overlap? THEY ARE. Because repressed childhood issues and cheating husband aside, Betty Draper had it MADE. She didn't work. She drank all day and smoking wasn't bad for you OR your kids/unborn children yet. HER WARDROBE. And she could get away with being a bad mom (not insinuating that I would be a bad mom, but I mean...) because all of those issues that her children would grow up to have could totally be blamed on the numerous wars and civil rights issues that would occur in the later 60s and 70s. 

Why would I want to live as such a terrible person? Because I've never been a truly terrible person and I think it would be refreshing to have been a part of the time when "we didn't know any better."

Beyond Betty Draper, I've always had a deep and irrational love for all things mid-century and vintage kitsch. Throwback to my old apartment in which my best friend said, "this looks like my grandma's house and now I'm creeped out." Also known as, perfection.

Although I'm not entirely sure that I could've lived through the Kennedy era. Because I also have always had a deep and irrational love for all things Kennedy and once they started dropping like flies I would've lost it. What? TOO SOON? Also, Jackie O. One of my heros. To live during her time...I can't even.

So through all of this rambling of my brain, I guess I convinced myself of an answer. I would've been best fucking friends with Betty Draper herself, right before some of the most tumultuous times for our country and our culture. Before we knew any better.

I also hate birds.

16 comments:

  1. Betty Draper is freaking bad ass for all of the things you mentioned above. Smoke and drink all day? Be out of touch due to no cell phones? Ok.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving the "before we knew any better" too. It's totally okay to get bombed all day and chain smoke (even if you're - yuck - pregnant) because we don't know any better!

    Ahhh...those were the days.

    And I'd be a terrible person right along with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ignorance is bliss.

    I also hate birds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes!! me too!! I'd be more early 50's thou so I can wear poodle skirts a la Grease....maybe even be a beauty school dropout and go back to high school!! and Jackie O....I'd be best friends with her!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think now that I'm working from home I need to get a shotgun and shoot birds in my backyard. Because we all know how I feel about birds. And as much as Betty is a terrible person, I always find a little part of myself wanting to be her. But not Fat Betty. Or Brown Betty. Just regular Betty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This works since I'm a big fan of Howard Stark (Tony's father). Time machine here we come!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Damn that knowledge and the guilt it brings. Bring back the 50s/60s bliss!

    ReplyDelete
  8. After seeing Cry Baby, I've wanted to live in that era so bad! ya know, to sing all the time and everything.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WHEN WE ARE. It made my brain explode at first. Charlie...

    Ugh this is perfect. Season 1 of Mad Men era is the best. And the whole "we didn't know any better" thing would so nice. I feel like there would've been a lot less anxiety back in the days where not everything gave you cancer and diabetes and heart disease and bankruptcy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is amazing. I almost used the image of her with the rifle. Well said. Well said.

    ReplyDelete
  11. brilliant choice!
    seriously the whole we didn't know any better would be so freeing

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is fantastic. Love Mad Men and that photo of Betty Draper is kind of hot. Girl crush? I think yes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. betty fucking draper. what a delightful loon.
    i love that you rambled about this. cheers boo.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Betty. And it's not love to hate her either. She's been shit on and she's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've always felt like I'd would've liked to be a teenager in the 50s.

    ReplyDelete
  16. First of all, one of my favorite Betty scenes EVER. She's a bad ass.

    Since you wrote this post, I've actually thought about whether or not I would've ended up one of those divorcees in the '60s because my husband was really sexist and I grew tired of being his doormat. (This actually happened to my grandma in the '50s. which is the only reason I wouldn't want to go back in time, although the fantasy of fashion and kitsch beckon.)

    Even though Don is a drunkard and a cheat, he's not too bad and Betty's new husband totally lets her do whatever she wants, which is great. Can you imagine her as a grandma, hilarious. I think as a grandma, she won't have the self-inflicted pressure on herself.

    Grandmas in the '70s and '80s were awesome, Alex's grandma was so much fun, mostly because she was always drinking.

    ReplyDelete

We just became best friends.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...