This is not to say I do not feel — contrary to popular belief. And sometimes my emotions are so overwhelming, and often times random, I can't even explain them myself. And this is NOT to say that I feel more deeply or more profoundly than you, it is just well, to say at all.
Justin asked me a question Sunday night that led to a three-hour silent treatment.
"Remember when you drunk cried last night over the verdict?"
Yes. Yes I sure did remember that. But the thing is, I was truly upset. Okay and definitely drunk. Still reeling from the news of the loss of Cory Monteith, I scrolled through my twitter feed in horror as I laid in bed waiting for Justin to join me. And I just started sobbing.
This wasn't a case that I watched closely or felt extremely passionate about. I've had those cases. Let me just tell you how many classes I missed as I sat glued to my TV waiting to hear the fate of Terri Schiavo.
My heart and my spirit were just broken. Defeated. Sad. Just plain fucking sad, you know?
This was not my story, or the story of anyone that I know. But the story of what is so commonplace in our society. And so acceptable.
I silent-treatmented him not only because my delicate feelings were hurt, but also because I knew that I could never articulate exactly what bothered me so incredibly about this situation. And I still can't and I certainly won't try to any more than this.
I will leave you with a tweet from a brilliant writer that you may know as "Quinoa's Mom."
Let's be better. Let's do better.— Tiffany Beveridge (@tiffanywbwg) July 14, 2013
Yes, let's.
Love this! Not that you were so upset but the message your are stating!
ReplyDeleteand please let's!
ReplyDeleteThis is so friggin' deep for this early in the morning. In a good way.
ReplyDeleteIt's hard to take things personally and not having anyone understand why you're taking it personally because it "has nothing to do with you". I don't think it's such a bad thing to be incredibly empathetic. Whether you know these people or not, they're still people.
LOVE YOU TIFF GEEZUS
snaps to you. sometimes i come here and then it's all BOOM IN YOUR FACE WE'VE PUT OUR SERIOUS PANTS ON FOR A HOT MINUTE. do you need me to hold you?
ReplyDeleteThe last thing I ever want to hear is, "Remember when you did (insert something I did while I was drunk) last night?" Especially drunk tears.
ReplyDeleteIf you ask me, there's no need to justify tears - drunk or sober.
Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go see what Quinoa has been up to.
I'm experiencing HARD CORE period tears this week. Cory Montieth, the little chinese girl in Pacific Rim, my burned dinner.....all of it is making me feel like everyone I ever loved died right in front of my eyes.
ReplyDeletethis was not a good time for me to get the subject.
Well said my dear. This has been a very sad week indeed.
ReplyDeleteWhere the drunk tears over the verdict or Cory Monteith? I can understand Cory Monteith because I felt extreme shock and sadness... I cry over everything... Just ask Matt... And usually I'm not drunk
ReplyDeletePlease please please let's be better and do better. I have been sad all week and haven't had the words to really articulate it like I'd like to.
ReplyDeleteIt's a brutal case, it really is. It leaves me speechless, granted I didn't cry because I never really cry but oh in my heart I am sickened.
ReplyDeleteAnd about Cory, I get it, and oh how I hurt for all that lost someone or love someone who is an addict.. (cough, cough..) but I feel it in my heart of hearts that his loss will bring an awareness and a willingness to those who suffer to maybe get help because a simple mixture can end your life and alter everyone else's forever.
I was pretty enthralled by the case when the verdict came out (which I'd never heard of until people on twitter started getting riled (I love when people get riled...riled means emotion which leads to change), and I was flabbergasted and confused.
ReplyDeleteI was also strangely effected by Cory's death - I don't even watch Glee.
Yes, definitely let's.
ReplyDeleteAlso, ugh boys. They always say shit like that and sometimes you can see it in their eyes immediately that they have fuuuuucked up. But too late! >_<
I totally got misty about it. I think for the same reasons. But wouldn't admit it because we were camping with the Rasers and that's just not acceptable LOL. I miss tv crying with you!!!
ReplyDeleteI totally got misty about it. I think for the same reasons. But wouldn't admit it because we were camping with the Rasers and that's just not acceptable LOL. I miss tv crying with you!!!
ReplyDelete