But really, I've lost my focus on music lately. And I've realized two things: Mainstream music is ridiculous and being so in lurrrrve limits my choices. Unless I want to switch back to country to listen to songs about how we love each other like we love pickups trucks. As I've said before, my music choices depend largely on my emotions and because of the limited availability and questionable quality of "happy" music, I just am not paying attention right now. I'd open to recommendations, as long as they don't involve the words "Taylor" or "Swift." I'm a Kanye fan. A loyal one.
So, here is an oldie for you. From a great band that no longer makes music together, Straylight Run. I first heard this song live, and it changed my view of live music forever. I was at SOMA, which at the age of 20 was inappropriate for me to be attending in the first place (so old...). I was with my roommate who had tickets to see Simple Plan, which I hated, but she asked me to go and I wasn't going to turn it down. Paramore also opened, and they were incredible. And then Straylight took the stage and sang all of the songs I had already seen live once or twice. And then this happened.
I stopped moving and just stared. It was intense and beautiful, along the same lines as "Running up that Hill" covered by Placebo.
These songs trigger a feeling that is difficult to place. But they are just lovely.
I'm going to try and look past your T-Swift hatred. REALLY TRY.
ReplyDeleteI love Kanye too. As much as I love Taylor, you have to admit what he did to her was KIND OF hilarious.
I'm a bad person.
Taylor can suck it.
ReplyDeleteLet's grab a beer :)
I'm going to listen to these as soon as I'm not at work!
ReplyDeleteI love you for not loving T Swift. I also love you for loving Kanye. There's just something about him.
If you don't give me some hair band action I am gonna scream! Lol
ReplyDeleteI'm listening to these as soon as I get home from work. I am always down for new music that isn't being play 8 thousand times a day. Hence why I am in love with my iheart radio app because I can escape the mainstream.
ReplyDeletebut I am guilty of loving things with the words "taylor" and "swift." Don't hate me.
I've been to Soma and I've seen Straylight Run perform too!! Crazy.
ReplyDeletefrank ocean is my jam right now!
ReplyDeletexo the egg out west.
I hadn't heard of either of these songs - but they were powerful, I see why you put them out. Another convert for the cause of awesome! THanks for overwhelming me. :)
ReplyDeleteI like old stuff and I love the soundtrack from Moonrise Kingdom (do you want a copy?) Since you're in love, I thought I'd be creative and google music for a hipster in love and this is what I came up with. Cheers! http://sex.sheknows.com/2011/02/03/the-10-best-hipster-love-songs/
ReplyDeleteThis tumbler might help you too. http://musichipsterslove.tumblr.com/
DeleteEhm, ehm.. I LIKE BON INVEEEEEEEEEEEEER!
ReplyDeleteI love running up that hill.
Listen. we're going to play a game. it's called an email thread that is going to start.. a song for you. one you may no have heard. give me a minute to think of a good one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-luwfQOyPA&feature=my_liked_videos&list=LL3IeYWFKCgRwZta-sfMhxjw
i may like taylor swift but I fuggin love the songs that most don't know, that never make it to you tube.. THOSE.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wJQnUsQ9Qs&feature=BFa&list=LL3IeYWFKCgRwZta-sfMhxjw
fine. i gave you two.
and now you give me two.
Paramore is one of my favs and has been forever. I soon as I heard Here We Go Again for the first time I was hooked. But I'm a sucker for rocker chicks. Paramore, No Doubt, Flyleaf, and Firelight dominate my iPod. I used to have the biggest crush on Brody Dalle from the Distillers.
ReplyDeleteOkay,I obviously need to broaden my music horizons...never heard of these bands. I love music, any kind...all kinds...it's the one thing that truly speaks to my soul...I know...cheesy, but true. And, girl, Momma loves some T Swift...again...CHEESE! But true. :)
ReplyDeletei like bon iver, in fact i am listening to him as we speak! not gonna lie, i love taylor <3
ReplyDeleteHater!
ReplyDeleteSince I've been gone I feel like I returned to a whole bunch of (I'm almost afraid to type it) fun pop songs. I was listening to KIIS and the top 5 songs were all entertaining!
I'm the same way with music. I haven't dealt with heartbreak in so long that it's hard to get into good, emotional stuff. Britney it is! Seriously though, that Placebo song?! I love it. Are they still making music?
ReplyDeleteMainstream music IS ridiculous! I will admit that I love listening to songs about pickup truck lovin'. If I didn't like country I don't know what I'd listen to! Thanks for introducing me to these songs!
ReplyDeleteKayne is always on heavy rotation on the mix albums Rhett makes me. He and Jayz have just killed it this past year. A big regret for me will be not seeing their show last year. Tho, the one time I did see Kayne he talked to a stoopid computer screen almost the whole time. Wack. But I still love him. Him and KK. You love, or hate?
ReplyDeleteOh my, I love that Placebo song. I first heard it in that vampire movie Daybreakers. Good luck with the move!! Pizza and beer always save the day!
ReplyDelete