Reason #2? Because IT IS AWFUL.
My family loves this shit. Shopping? Hell yea. A sale? You betcha. Shopping all night? Why not! So in 2009 and 2010 I accompanied my mom and sisters on their wild adventures. And it is as awful as it sounds.
We started at 9 p.m. on Thanksgiving. At Toys-R-Us. I'd like to think I was still a little drunk. And you guys, people take their children. Christmas shopping. They take their kids who they are buying the gifts for. Because why wouldn't you take a pajama-clad child to a store full of raging lunatics pushing around entire swingsets in a tiny cart 3 hours past their bedtime. WHY NOT?
![]() |
| Toys-r-us 2009. This was around 10 p.m. and we waited in line for almost an hour to get in. |
In 2010 I wanted one of the doorbuster TVs at Target so I got in line at 2 a.m. My cousin, who was pregnant, wanted a vacuum. So we all hung out together, miserable, freezing, and delirious. And although we were there 2 hours early, we were still near the back of the building. And I knew what this meant. I wasn't going to get that TV. But I sat, and sat. And then power-walked with the rest of the psychos and guess what...no TVs left. I was crushed. But that man has 2 in his cart and you are only supposed to take one! But really, as much as I protested the Target people weren't really going to do anything about it.
![]() |
| Yes, that is fur on my hood. Yes, it was probably still about 50 degrees. |
The entire night usually consists of someone sleeping in the car, someone running home to get blankets and chairs, someone running to the gas station for coffee/soda and someone getting horribly ill-feeling from an overdose of caffeine. And really, most of what I come home with is for me anyways. New towels, pillows, you name it. Last year I drank enough to pass out when it came time to leave for Black Friday Eve. This year I won't be with the crazy shoppers, but they are probably much better off without my whining.
My advice to you is to stay home. Stay warm. And stay sane. Or be smart and whip up some hot chocolate to sell to those crazy assholes in line. They also appreciate donuts.
(But mom, don't forget to pick up my air mattress!)


Did you have bleach blonde hair?! I have never been black friday shopping. Not even before I met John.
ReplyDeletehahaha!!! i went last year for the first time and it was miserable, i mean besides the sales it was just not worth it for me! my sisters and i stood in line at old navy for like an hour and then once we got our clothes we stood in the checkout line for like 2 hours!!! then we went out to our car and it wouldnt start because we were listening to music in it beforehand!!! i dont think i will be participating this year either :)
ReplyDeleteI have never done Black Friday. Never will. I choose life. but your hot coco idea is genius. I'm all over that next year.
ReplyDeleteI could never do black friday. I love sleep and hate people, so no one would be happy with me around. Probably as bad as you.
ReplyDeleteCyber monday, now that's my kind of fun!
I am impressed you did it two years in a row!! I have never gone early and I plan to continue to sleep in my turkey coma. I do however, go later in the day when everything is gone. It's still fun. Sleep tight and happy Thanksgiving!! xoxo
ReplyDeleteHysterical. How do people stay awake after all that turkey? I could never. I don't love anything enough to stay awake all night and fight the evils for it.
ReplyDeleteWHY DO PEOPLE TAKE THEIR CHILDREN?!
hahahahaahhaaa, OMG, Shit! Why did I have to read this!!! I NEVER do Black Friday, EVER. I just can't get into it, I mean, the LINES. Hells to the NO. BUT. I just said to Rhett- babe, maybe we should make a fun day out of Friday and do coffee, and breakfast, and black friday shopping. What was I thinking?? Thank you. ;)
ReplyDeleteOnly Brittany would be all dressed up and perfect makeup middle of the night.
ReplyDeleteI've never really done Black Friday. One year I went to the opening of H&M in Chino Hills but that was like around Thanksgiving. Last year I went to an H&M sale the day after Xmas. Neither were that bad. No pushing or fighting, although some lady cut in line and my mom was getting all crazy lol.
I will also be sleeping :)
Hahaha! For $3 pjs? You know they are only like $5 to begin with, right? Haha! My sister used to babysit our friends' kids at 11:00pm on Thanksgiving and they'd get her what ever she needed as long as it was at one of their preplanned stops. They'd come home the next day around noon with all of their shopping done. Insane!
ReplyDelete