Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Music: Something old, something new

Finally, something old! There are certain songs in my life that I call “Top ten all time favorite songs.” Chances are my list contains more than 10, so that really doesn’t make sense. However, these are songs that immediately transport me to another time in my life. They bring back memories that I thought I no longer had and remind me of everything I have experienced whether I like it or not. Skinny Love by Bon Iver is one of those songs.


My unabashed love and enthusiasm for everything Bon Iver baffles many. Can you understand the lyrics? Not always. And when you can they usually don't make much sense. Such is the case with Skinny Love. But you just know the utter frustration and heartbreak that is the root of this song. The passion he sings with is so powerful, and if you don't believe me I beg you to see them live. I practically forced my younger sister to go with me and then because of the overwhelming intensity and emotion of the performances I literally cried 80% of the show. My poor sister. But it's THAT GOOD, you guys. (Also, completely brokenhearted at the time. I had set myself up for complete failure that night.)

This song has been covered by so many great artists including Gavin Mikhail, and another beloved of mine, Birdy.



When Linday Pavao covered it on The Voice I cried, naturally. It was one of the most genuine and beautiful performances of the season, but I knew she had lost because as we know or don't know, who the hell is BONNIE BEAR! This has become my all-time favorite Skinny Love cover. (Also, yes I watch The Voice and yes reality competitions make me cry. Apparently everything does.)



No matter which version I'm listening to, Skinny Love makes me have feelings. Somethings good, sometimes bad. But, it will always remain on my life soundtrack.

And just for S&Gs, take a look at Justin Timberlake as Justin Vernon of Bon Iver in one of the best SNL skits of the season!

5 comments:

  1. 'skinny love' is a top ten for me too. just thinking about it while reading your post took me back to a time of cold weather, tights, dark hair, & adventure. it's such a great & meaningful song.

    - lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it... My favorite old song is one that I have not ever heard covered... Take on Me by Aha. As a child of the 80's that song had so many meanings to me. Crazy right? It baffles my hubby. But that song can make me cry... The music video - forget about it... I"m a puddle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwwww...love it. Bon Iver espcecially. NOt sure why, but it gets me to smile and dream a little. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love when certain songs take you back to those places.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm stalking. Just so that's out of the way.

    Birdy, oh that Birdy.. I adore her. Skinny Love is brilliant... absolutely brilliant, so obviously you are for liking it.

    ReplyDelete

We just became best friends.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...