Let's do this again. The incredibly stressful night before Thanksgiving, I forced Justin to attend a performance by my favorite singer/writer of the most heartwrenching music you will ever listen to at an acoustically perfect venue.
I feel better.
Rachael Yamagata will break your heart over and over again. And you will ask for more. You need more. I've been listening to her since my early 20s, which were wrought with immature heartbreak that her songs seemed to fit so very well. So when I saw that she was in town, I bought tickets and then asked Justin if it was okay to go that night.
The instant she started singing tears welled up and I knew it was going to be perfect. And it was. She sounded just beautiful and well, perfect. But the best part? Between each song, after ripping out your soul, this girl had me in giggles. She is so weird, and awkward and hilarious. She says herself that the music comes from such a trench of despair and melancholy, that you have to laugh in between the songs or you won't make it out alive. And thank god for the giggles because I got all weird about it.
My favorite song of hers, and one of my all time favorite songs that is so special to me that I don't even want to share the link here...she played it. When I heard the first chord, I burst into tears and melted into Justin's shoulder and sobbed into the tissue that I had stuffed in my bra for that exact moment. What a loser. I had warned him, so he knew it would happen. He was still probably embarrassed. I was only minorly embarrassed, but mostly thankful for the experience of hearing it live. And thankful for the life experiences that gave something that much meaning and thankful to know that I don't have to feel that type of despair ever again. So thankful right now. Are we still doing that, STILL? Shit.
If you're in the mood to have your heartbroken, which, don't lie, you know it's something us ladies do sometimes (which is why we continue to watch Grey's Anatamy & Gossip Girl which I'm NOT caught up on so shut it), listen to this:
"It'll Do"
And, because it's the Christmas season and I like sharing (some...) visit here for a free download! (I did it. It works!).
Your emotional reaction to seeing this girl was my exact physical reaction to meeting Ben Schwartz (do you watch Parks and Rec? It's Jean-Ralphio!) last summer. I was doing the most hideous crying/laughing combo and everyone around me was probably ashamed for me. It was 95% embarrassing and 5% endearing but who cares. Next time I feel like having my heart crushed I'll be sure to add this girl to my playlist!!
ReplyDeleteShe has such a beautiful voice. I have never heard her before but I'll definitely listen to more. Music is so awesome in how it evokes emotion.
ReplyDeleteI love heart breaking, soul crunching music. I love it.
ReplyDeleteI've heard of her, but I don't think I've heard her music before. I'll have to look it up! There's something magical about hearing a favorite singer/songwriter live. I totally get your reaction, and I wish I had the foresight to stuff my bra for the occasion too.
ReplyDeleteHoly Crap! Girrrrrrl, I started crying with the beginning minor chords. I'm so happy you had a great holiday week and a good man to hold onto while your heart is broken by a song, you deserve it (the good man and good holiday, not the broken heart.)
ReplyDelete