Tuesday, March 26, 2013

People of the Gym: Part 2

Remember our dear Jim? I saw him last week at the gym and remembered my mission in life. And then ran out the door giggling and making the there he is face at Justin who is reeeeeealllllly bad at secret talk like that. He was all, WHO? WHO ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? So discreet, that guy.

My new favorite gym treasure turned out to be a unicorn. I only saw him once and I'm not sure I will ever get over it. Guys, he was my imaginary best friend. I wanted so badly to do Zumba with him and compare hip measurements and weight loss secrets even though I only saw him for a brief but meaningful 32 seconds of my life.

We shall call him Meev — a combination of Max & Nev. Meev was the ultimate gym hipster — gypster (I'm not sure that isn't racist but I was on a kick of combining things...). What was he wearing you ask? Perfection. Short, SHORT gym shorts, probably from American Apparel nonetheless, to show off his slender legs, a thin v-neck t-shirt for optimal ventilation, and a cardigan. What? YES. A freaking sweater. To the gym. Because Meev doesn't follow standard conventions, you guys. Meev does what Meev wants.

As I was running on the treadmill and spotted this hipster angel sent from above, I immediately looked around to see if anyone else noticed him. Justin was in front of me so I couldn't get his attention but that was fine because he would've been all WHAT SWEATER WHO ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT. No one, not even the elderly asian woman in newspaper-ish print leggings and also gloves noticed this rare treasure. No one even blinked. And then I wondered if I was the one that was in the wrong because why am I not dressed in something special for my workout?

Like this. This is my new gym outfit. WITH FLAIR.
Meev was going to a class, but because the goddamned schedule on the wall was out of date I didn't know which class it was or how I could stalk him down in the future. In my mind it was Zumba or bellydancing. And that he was the instructor. Because life doesn't get more perfect than that.

17 comments:

  1. ohhh meev! i love it, thanks for the smile first thing this morning :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i might need to start going to a gym again just so i have a chance to witness people like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost don't believe you. It's too good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. my favorite part about this, even more than the sweater, is his name. Meev. That- that is just pure gold.

    I went to an improv show this weekend and they pulled this guy up on stage, eptiome of Utah Valley hipster with the patches on his elbowss, thick brimmed glasses, plaid shirst and corduroy pants....

    and they asked him his name, and it was "Swan."
    and I knew if we were friends, all I would be able to say to him is, "Stop looking at me Swan."

    ah hipsters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. MEEEEV

    Anyone who has the balls to wear a cardigan during a workout is a hero in my book.

    Also, that Wiig gif- top notch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is a Meev at my gym. He had yet to wear a sweater but I have seen him wear skinny jeans to lift weights. All that heaving lifting gives him some good definition in his bird arms.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You need to stalk the shit out of those classes until you find him. He sounds like a freaking national treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is incredible.
    please keep me posted on future sightings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh how I miss gym people-watching.......

    ReplyDelete
  10. ohmigod Meev and his sweater sound amazing and i want to be his best friend because no one would ever look twice at me if I was next to him. FIND HIM.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am laughing SO hard right now. The mental image I have right now is killing me. A CARDIGAN?! Perfection. That's so Meev.

    James is as discreet as Justin. There have been so many bad moments from this.

    Please keep looking for him. This is all I'm going to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your imagination is what best sellers are made of!!! Getting to writing that award winning fiction novel!! :) I will be first in line to buy it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hahaha! I want a Meev in my life! Also, that SNL sketch is one of my favorites ever.

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh wow...mev? great name!! and I'm pretty sure you did wear that gum outfit back in 7th grade when we tried to go to the 24 by your parent's on my mom's guest pass but got denied becasue we were too young

    ReplyDelete
  15. So basically, I think you do need to make that outfit your gym outfit, but the only work out you can do is swirl your hips like in the gif.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Are you sure you're not boozing it up before gym time?

    ReplyDelete
  17. basically I don't go to the gym. Never have.

    basically I would go with you though, in a heartbeat.

    ReplyDelete

We just became best friends.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...