Wednesday, March 20, 2013

the vacation, part one: monterey, highway 1 & cambria.

The morning after that fabulous party that was held in my honor, we left for a fabulous vacation. Not as smoothly as that sounds, of course. Someone forgot to set the time back for daylight savings on the alarm clock and someone else was incredibly hungover and could barely put on sweatpants. And someone else was in full panic mode because we brought home REALLY SCARY BALLOONS from the party and she wouldn't leave the bedroom even after Justin popped them. It was quite the morning.

The 7.5 hour drive up to Monterey was largely uneventful. How did you not kill each other?!? Well, we enjoy each other's company, SURPRISING I KNOW. Even when I am pointing out everything on the side of the road like a goddamned tour guide and jabbering on about the gorgeous blooming cherry trees.

We did realize as we were deep in farmland CA that I either a.) can't read or b.) can't see. Or both. As we passed a sign that said FRESH FRUIT: PIES & FUDGE (which are not even fruit by the way so what the fuck), I proclaimed, "FIGS? Who the fuck would stop for figs?" And then later when we passed a sign for Lightfighter Road my blindass yelled, "Who the hell would fight a lamp?" Which led Justin to believe that I caused considerable brain damage at my party the night before.

And this is where I give you the Monterey summary, as to avoid this becoming a novel about my vacation.

Hotel — Best Western Plus Beach Resort. Right on the sand and totally relaxing. The dinner we had there was one of my favorites of the trip (which included the World's best artichokes from Castroville, CA!).

Attractions — Lover's Point Park & Monterey Bay Aquarium.

Foods — Old Monterey Cafe (fantastic!) and Cannery Row Brewing Co. (not bad, but a total twatty bartender).


And then we were on our merry way to Cambria, which required a drive down Route 1 (aka the coast highway). I knew it would be beautiful, and oh it so was. What I wasn't prepared for was how damn treacherous it was. Justin was in heaven. I was sweating, swearing, and clutching the door handle for dear life, like it would actually save my life should we go over the edge.

The thing is, if I don't understand how it was built, I do not like it. Who built these roads, and how? The bridges? DOES NOT COMPUTE. But it was truly amazing and I even spotted some whales (well at least their blow — shut up that is the proper term for it, not spout).

After two hours of sheer terror we reached Cambria — the sleepiest town on the west coast (seriously, everything closes at 8 p.m.).

Hotel — Mariner's Inn. Newly renovated and a perfect beachy, rustic room. They also gave us a bottle of wine when we checked in, which is totally the way to my heart.

Attractions — Moonstone Beach, Fermentations (for wine-tasting), one million antique stores (which I developed an irrational fear of) and Cambria Beer Co. The beer tasting was by far one of the highlights of the town. We met a "regular" and exchanged life stories, and we met the "mayor" who is not a real mayor because they are not incorporated so she became mayor by winning fundraisers. My new goal is to move there and claim mayorhood.

Foods — JBJ's Round-up Pizza & Grub (the only thing that was open when we arrived...but a great birthday meal!), Linn's Restaurant (a Cambria staple) and Cambria Pub & Steakhouse.

Although a quiet town with not much to do other than walk along the beach and browse the local shops, we loved it. I loved it as a child and I love it even more now. It has always been a special place to me and I can definitely see us returning many, many times and then properly fitting in with all of the adorable gray-hairs that were vacationing along with us.


Stay tuned for the vacation, part 2: the time I ruined vacation. Shit gets real.

19 comments:

  1. it sounds like a dream so far! (except for the part where you thought you may die pretty much the entire way down highway 1) i've only been out to california once, and i cant even tell you where we went. my cousin and his family live there, so we went to his casa (you know where they live right? i mean cali is a pretty tiny state, so ill just assume everyone knows everyone ;o)
    but anyway, i do remember the coast being beyond beautiful!
    cant wait to hear about how you got wicked trashed on wine! :oD

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok - so i'm going to go ahead and assume you hate being in the car when doughnuts are being done in a parking lot. because i hate. like i will freak the fuck out and instruct people to let me out.

    also - maybe on your next vacation grab those otters and come to wisconsin. DUH.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We were going to drive the coast highway in California this summer, and I was deathly afraid due to the roads. Seriously who built them like that? I almost had a shitfit getting to that closest to San Francisco Redwood place. Good freaking God.

    I cannot imagine a 7.5 hour drive with the hangover from the party. The alcohol destroyed the reading and seeing part of your brain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. can i come on vacay with you next time. two reasons: 1. you're hilarious and i'm hilarious so it would be a great time. 2. i can't read either.

    happy belated birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm the worst road trip companion. There is a lot of "are we there yet?"s. I haven't been to the beach in two years and it makes me really upset. Your vacation looks gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an awesome vacation!!! California is so beautiful. Wanna trade states? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, now I feel more included on your birthday festivities. I got to see party pics and your vacay (tour guide style). Looks like you two love birds had a blast. And whaaaaa? You are scared of balloons? Annnnnd I got your email yesterday and got sooooooo excited that "it's" coming sooooooooon!!! EEEEEK!

    ReplyDelete
  8. beautiful!! sounds so perfectly relaxing, cant wait to hear the rest :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been wanting to take a trip up the coast for years! I've been to Heart Castle and I think we went up the 1 but I was so young i don't remember. I NEED to go to Monterey. Been trying to get there for the past few years. Now that I have tips I def have to make the trip.

    Glad you guys had fun! The pictures are so pretty! Recap 2 tomorrow?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. yes holding on to the card door CAN save you!!! it's got like magical powers that will flip the car around and keep you safe!! At least that's what I tell myself when Matt is practicing to audition for Nascar. The trip sounds amazing!! I loved stalking your pics on Facebook :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It totally thought you were going to say that she became mayor by checking with foursquare a lot.

    I saw a documentary on how the made Route 1 once...basically a lot of people died because making it WAS treacherous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your inability to read is hilarious but mostly, I'm completely obsessed with that fish.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Give me that aztec- looking sweater. Is that offensive? I don't know what else to call it.

    Can't wait to hear how you ruined everything! YOU'RE THE BEST x 9837573

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your reading problems made me laugh so hard. It's like we're twins! Except I have problems hearing people. I always hear the wrong thing. Always.

    I'm obsessed with the aztezy looking shindig you're wearing. I think I need it.

    I don't know if I've been to any of those places. I probably have, but I must've been too small too remember. I'm going to remember this for my next trip to California!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So, do you actually need glasses or were you just hungover? Haha! I remember driving down 101 and screaming at Jacob every ten minutes or so to "slow down!" and "don't look at the water!". I hate roads like that. And all he kept saying was, "I wish I had my motorcycle". Ugh. It looks like such a fun trip so far. I love that you ate at local restaurants. I have an irrational fear of those. And antique shops.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my goh how funny about those signs. I love love love th Cali coast. My boyfriend & I talk about taking a week long road trip up the coast someday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. About those signs.
    About those balloons.
    About those vacations people take without me...

    ReplyDelete
  18. About those signs.
    About those balloons.
    About those vacations people take without me...

    ReplyDelete

We just became best friends.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...