My mental health journey began at age 20. I was a full time biology student (see: hours upon hours of labs plus corresponding lectures) and I was working two part-time jobs. I was tired. I was stressed. I was emotional. All of the things you would expect.
There were also days that were frozen. I couldn't move out of my bed. I would wake up and know that I had to go somewhere or do something, and I just couldn't. You just can't. Insert missed classes and the beginning of numerous sick calls to work.
The bed was one place. My other place? My car. I would drive home from school and not leave my car. I would sit in my driveway and call my BFF and she'd be all, oh are you in the car again? Yup. And then she would talk to me until I was able to leave my car. Because she was my BFF and she did stuff like that. There were the typical signs — I stopped going out with friends, my appetite disappeared — but the one thing that has always stuck with me was that whole car situation. I mean, what in the ever-living-fuck. Couldn't I have gotten stuck somewhere exciting like in a park, or poolside? No, I had to spend many anxiety ridden hours in a goddamned Pontiac Sunfire.
The moment that made me go full Bynes had to do with a boy. How disgustingly cliché is that? And then I nearly stopped eating all together and decided that I should go get some medication. Even though I really liked wearing my little sisters' clothing.
I was the first of my family members to take anti-depressants. And they are incredibly lucky I love them still because the level of support I received was somewhere between 1 and 0. Why are YOU stressed? You don't need THOSE pills. You are fine. Not so much, family. Not so much at all.
Now? Now they understand. And now we probably qualify for some sort of discount because we are single-handedly keeping the anti-depressant companies in business.
So my story doesn't begin with a bang. It was a mild meltdown process and I am forever grateful that I took steps to get help before it had a chance to get worse.
It is so frustrating because the very thing that keeps you in cars and beds is the thing that makes it hard for you to reach out for help. I'm glad that you were able to!
ReplyDeleteThe path to wellness logo looks like the female reproductive system.
ReplyDeleteSomeone had to say it.
I am that someone.
But seriously. This is all so interesting to read. I am so glad Justin doesn't make you go full-Bynes. So glad.
i had the same relationship with my car too. i would find myself driving around my city, lost at night and hysterically crying for reasons i couldn't understand.
ReplyDeleteOh god, the path to wellness logo really does look like the female reproductive system. Getting pregnant and potentially having post-partum depression terrifies me because I am afraid that my husband and in-laws would never understand and would judge me horribly. While my own family gets it as both my sister and I have had depression and anxiety issues in the past, my husband just does not and basically thinks that medication for mental illness is not legit. So frustrating sometimes.
ReplyDeleteKudos to you for writing this!!! Anxiety is a VERY REAL and VERY DEBILITATING condition. I wish to God my husband's family would seek therapy/medical intervention for the way they treat and interact with each other. They are really big on, "There's nothing wrong with me. It's everyone and everything else." It is heart breaking and extremely stressful to be a part of.
ReplyDeleteyou. this.
ReplyDeleteagain, thank you for sharing. for spreading the word. three of my siblings take anti-depressants and it's just so interesting to see how depression manifests itself differently in different people. but just because it's different doesn't make it any less real or serious.
i think i will always love you for sharing these posts. for opening up. for being honest.
I had more of those too anxious to get out of bed or leave my dark room days, before Alex. Now it's just once in a while. Like if I'm overly stimulated or have tons of social engagements planned, I get anxiety and it takes me hours to talk myself into moving. My anxiety is people based. I want to be perfect and I expect everyone is holding me to my own standards. (This is what the daughter of Mary Poppins has to deal with.)
ReplyDeleteLike your amazing boyfriend, Alex has been a great support. I cannot anyone being as understanding toward me as he has. I'm happy you have Justin.
As I mentioned sometime before, I've never tried anti-depressants as an adult but I also haven't had access. This little thing called no insurance furthers that along.
I hope that things are continuing to get better for you.
Thank you for sharing this. My husband sometimes says things that imply he doesn't believe in medication, but at the same time, i think if it comes to the point where I need it, then he'll be open to it.
ReplyDeletexx
reading this made you just so much more real for me :) thank you for sharing it with us, you're a strong woman!
ReplyDeleteyou move me.
ReplyDeleteyou tell a part of my story that I won't tell.
I love this. I'm so glad you're talking about it. You are awesome, tiff_gee.
ReplyDelete