Wednesday, May 22, 2013

you asked for it.

Day 22 - Rant about something. Are you sure you want to tell me to do that? Okay....



The blogging community is fucking stupid.

Well holy shit. I went there. 

When I started this little blog of mine (<-- how many times have you read that exact phrase?) I had no idea what I was doing. All I knew is that I wanted to write and tell stories. And then I learned about FOLLOWERS and SPONSORS and GIVEAWAYS and I was like, holy shit I am clearly doing this wrong! I don't even have a proper bun! So I drank the koolaid. Out of a mason jar, naturally. I tried my hand at giveaways. I wanted followers, damn it! Those numbers on my sidebar meant everything to me. 






Look over there now. Yea, I deleted that shit. And even though I see it when I log into blogger, it doesn't define my blog. The stories I write define my blog and it will continue to be that way. I have officially hopped off the bandwagon.

Here is my favorite example of blogwagoning: When Google announced that they were banishing Google Reader to the depths of internet doom, the entire blogging community simultaneously shit their pants. HOW WILL PEOPLE FOLLOW ME NOW? Through Blogger. No seriously, through Google Friend Connect. No really, it isn't going away yet. 

But not one single person said that. Because one person shouted JOIN BLOGLOVIN from the rooftops of blogville everyone did. Are there better options? Absolutely. But because the blogging community listens to those that have more followers because obviously they know everything, there was only one option and that is where the Bloglovin' monster came from.

Bloggers don't think for themselves. They do what is popular — what will get them the most pageviews or followers. It is as simple as that. They will write a SUPER DARING POST or a SUPER SILLY POST and really put themselves out there. This said "community" celebrates mediocrity and there is far, far too much ass-licking going on. And then I said ass-licking on my blog.

No, there aren't any rules to blogging. But you should aspire to stand out. You should aspire to be different and to make a difference. Be known for something other than what you wore or how many times you went to Starbucks. 


I'm not trying to abandon the few readers that I have, because I do appreciate those of you who read my madness. And comment. And share your stories back with me. That is the part of blogging that I love, and what really keeps me going. That, and all of the Russians that contribute to my stats. Hi, Russians!

I do my best to share parts of my life that I find entertaining. I try my damnedest to be original and I will continue to support the friends I do have in this community. I promise you I will always be genuine. Always.

24 comments:

  1. you went there. you went there and it was so good.

    its all true. im probably guilty of at least half of this shit. im just glad that i can say ive steered way the fuck clear of giveaways. and if you ever have a giveaway again it better be freaking amazing. and it better not be a group one.

    but really, all that stuff is the main reason i stopped doing the link ups i was participating in. link ups are great, dont get me wrong, but they were pretty much the only posts that i was writing. and then i was like "shit. you never write anything with any kind of originality. time to get off the link up train and try to come up with some stuff on your own."

    blogging is just high school all over again. but god, i love/hate it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm not concerned with how many readers i have...i actually don't even know. before my current blog, i used to be all "WHY DON'T I HAVE X NUMBER OF READERS?!?" and it would actually irritate me that i wasn't amassing a huge following. this time around, i told myself that i will write and they will come. to this day, i don't even know the number of followers i have. i don't really log into bloglovin to find out (i'm so sad that google made that stupid decision to get rid of greader!) so i guess i'll eventually find out when i have to use blovin.

    ok i'm babbling here.

    anyway, love this post. i only follow blogs i feel are genuine; where the writer just writes whatever is on their mind and that's what i love - the honesty. keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. whats up with the russians, i have them too :) i love you and this post is the perfect thing to read this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YES YES YES.

    YES.

    OMG YES.


    You pulled this out of my brain and then wrote it ten times better than I ever could have.

    Have I told you recently how much I love you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. GIRL.

    You did DID the damn thing.

    I have nothing more to say, other than I'm so happy to be one of your regulars.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That thinking inside the box picture is just too. perfect.

    You know how I feel about all of this...followers, giveaways, etc.

    Hmm, speaking of giveaways, maybe I should have another one. Muahaha...

    ReplyDelete
  7. SING IT MOFO!

    Since I don't really advertise my giveaways through other blogs, I just basically give shit away to people who already read my shit.

    I fail at blogging because
    1. I don't write in blogger speak or use only blogger recognized acronyms on my blog so that only other bloggers can understand it. actual real life people can read my shit and get it.
    2. Likewise, I don't talk about how HARD blogging is and how people just don't UNDERSTAND and how cliquey bloggers are MEAN
    3. I don't think I own anything that's chevron
    4. I prefer to get my crack juice from Dunkin Donuts instead of Starsucks
    5. I'm sure there are more

    ReplyDelete
  8. AWESOME post!! This is one of the main reasons why I have never started blog. I don't have time or the want to do all that kind of stuff you are "supposed" to do. A lot of bloggers talk about how they don't talk about their blog to their real life family and friends and I'm not the kind of person that can't not talk about all aspects of my life to my family and friends. And yep, I said can't not...double negatives feel so good.

    And posts like this are the reasons why I read the blogs that I do and don't read some blogs anymore because dammit, I don't need to know how awesome your hair is now with your new awesome free hair dryer or free expensive ass curling iron or straightener. Blerg! Just tell me how you do your hair normally because I's got issues when it comes to getting may hair to do anything.

    Anyway, great post once again...I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Um I love this. I am guilty of some of it...like giveaways. I have participated in a couple of small giveaways, and while it was nice to see my number of readers go up, how many of them actually read and comment on anything? I am participating in one right now and I made a promise to myself that I am not doing anymore group giveaways. I much prefer ones on my own blog that people who already follow me enter.

    I'm back to getting followers the way I did at the beginning: by reading and commenting on other blogs and by writing good (or at least funny) shit that people like.

    Also, I have Wordpress so I don't even get to have GFC but I am glad. Fuck the man.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it! I write about what I love and I think your the only one who chimes in, screw it. I'll still do what I love!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've had bloglovoin' for years, before the whole scare. I just don't really use any following system. Hence my recent lack of commenting haha.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha I love your madness!! I still have GFC up cause I knew that's not going away. I did get bloglovin, after I saw someone post about it. I just have no clue about these interwebs so I let other people teach me about things like 'readers' f that shit, i still read from my blogger dashboard.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You just called me out on so many things. "When I started this little blog of mine..." I used that in my last post. Haha! Actually, I'm happy I'm taking a blog break because of most of this stuff. I don't know if I'm a full sheep, but I do get a lot of ideas of THINGS I MUST BUY from blogland and I have to stop. It's all just stuff. I wasn't this bad about material things before. I'm also over the ads, sponsors, group giveaways (those are the worst. I'm not following 87 people for a 1/75,000 shot at $50), and linkups. I was reading blogs that linked up with someone else Monday through Friday. I can't read that crap anymore. I feel like I met a lot of awesome people and I'm at capacity. How rude! Hahah!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I feel this way as well. I don't use an RSS feed. talk about living behind the times. I just found it so annoying because the thing I want to do ... is comment! And so what's the point if I know I'm going to comment of reading a post somewhere else, just to have to click through!

    I feel so discouraged when I see blogs that I think are less than and they have so many more followers than I do - but then again, I'm not willing to change my style, my authenticity, my earnestness for another follower or 10.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looooooove this! I've never thought to delete GFC because I like it when other bloggers have it so that if I like their blog, I can easily follow them and then when I open a tab and click the "next" button in my toolbar, it will take me to the blogs I follow. If that makes sense. I don't know cause I don't even understand what RSS means.

    There is nothing more dull than a blog that fits the blogger template: Starbucks! Top knot! #OOTD! Day of blogger silence for ________ (as if that ever did anything).

    But the blogs I love, I LOVE. I get so many amazing suggestions (I love it when bloggers tell me their makeup & beauty faves), get involved in interesting conversations, and best of all make friends. But only with interesting bloggers. :)

    Sometimes I post about makeup and sometimes I post about the death penalty. And when I write about things like the death penalty, less people read my posts and significantly fewer comment. But F it--that's what's really important to me and I don't even remember the last time I checked my page views. I blog as a hobby, not a career, dangit!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I swear I left another comment besides the reply to Alissa up there. whoops.

    but for real. Blogland needs to chill. we're not in high school anymore. we don't need to pretend anymore.

    but I won't lie. I got caught up in the followers and sponsors there for two seconds too. ha! then I realized nobody reads that crap anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have such a short attention span, if I feel like I've read it before i won't read it. Its more rewarding to just do your own thing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've done one giveaway/sponsor and i felt meh about it. I was obsessed with the numbers for a bit and did my own giveaway at 100, but then someone won who I had no clue who it was and that bugged me!!
    But Tiffany (*say it out loud in a whiney voice*) I like posting about my work outfits...fashion blogger I am not but I can whip out my computer or phone and show matt and my parents I wear everything in my dang closet see?! it's evidence for why i NEED new clothing!! lol!!
    and I'm a tea drinker/ finals week only coffee drinker...so no Starbucks pics for me :)
    Hopefully ow I can start writing more since I am DONE with school!! Forever!! Please send me an email reminding me of these past months if I ever say I want my PhD hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  19. Agreed! If people want to read my stuff they can and if they don't, they won't.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just do what you do girlfran!!! Speaking of giveaways, I never win those damn things. I guess I don't have giveaway karma in my favor since I don't give anything away. Oh and speaking of bandwagons. Cat Bearding!!!
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/summeranne/the-25-most-epic-cat-beards-of-all-time?s=mobile

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ahhh, you understood my "kool aid" tweet. Funny.. Did you notice those that drank the kool aid didn't comment on this blog post? interesting huh..

    ReplyDelete

We just became best friends.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...