I can't even tell you how many times I've heard the following phrases:
"Smile!" or something seemingly more clever to the person making the statement.
"Do you feel okay?" or some variation of that.
"Having a bad day?" which I would never answer yes to anyways so why are you asking STRANGER DANGER!
To the above questions and many more, here is my perpetual answer:
"It's literally just my face."
Sometimes I try to get all lady gaga clever with statements of being born this way and how hard it is to live a life looking perpetually pissed off. But you know what? It isn't. If anything it's entertaining as hell because it always keeps people guessing. And also encourages them to mind their own business. It does, however, get me marked as "snotty" and yes "bitchy," which is only true
sometimes. I just like to think that I have so much going on in this genius brain of mine that I don't have time to worry about having a phony smile pasted on my face at all times.
Quite possibly my favorite example of THE FACE in action can be seen in the photos below. Because seriously, how could we not be happy in that moment?
We were paying attention, thank you very much.
 |
| Intense listening faces. |
 |
| I smile on command very well, as do my friends. |
Right? So remember, next time you encounter someone that may not look pleased, they are happy on the inside. Or their dog died. Either way, it's probably best that you don't even ask and just move on with your day.
This reminds me of that scene in Juno.
ReplyDelete"Your little girlfriend gave me the stinkeye in art class yesterday. "
"Katrina's not my girlfriend alright? And I doubt she gave you the stinkeye that's just how her face looks, you know? That's just her face. "
hahaha, i love the face!!
ReplyDeletethat is the best face. especially in the presence of the dolphin. it looks like you're getting peed on. its the best.
ReplyDeleteOMG this is seriously the best thing ever. That picture was one of the first things I ever pinned with the caption #storyofmylife! I too suffer from CBF (Chronic Bitch Face). It's seriously the worst when someone tells me to smile, it makes me want to punch them in the face! Thank you for posting this :)
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you don't do the phony smile thing, your face is adorable just the way it is.
ReplyDeleteWhen I'm focusing really hard on a task. I stop talking and get serious face and everyone around me starts thinking I'm mad at them or irritated with them.
In the picture you all look funny, I think it's just the faces people make when they are listening. Jenn is giving death stare to the trainer, yet her hands are saying, I'm a princess. Your look is saying "Ew, I'm not touching that thing." And why is the trainer karate chopping the dolphin?
Haha this is so me too! Half the reason why people assume I'm a stuck up snot when I'm just quiet chillin on my own. People think I'm always half asleep on the phone too.
ReplyDeleteI'd just tell everyone to mind their own business. I mean what gives? You're adorbs... and I for one love your "bitch" face, serious face, on command smiley face... love them all.
ReplyDeleteAnd this is why we get along. People always think I'm a bitch because I constantly look mad. I blame genetics. But I admit I have NO poker face (suck on that on Lady Caca ;) so whenever I don't like something it shows. Very dangerous at work lol!
ReplyDeleteWhen I used to have DLand passes the workers would always tell me to smile and it'd piss me off. I can't help it, this is my face! Lol! Did you get that a lot when you went?
FACT, the other day someone said to me.. "you're a mean person." based off of the look on my face. I seriously was just looking at her.
ReplyDeletei'm gonna blog about it. because it resulted in a fight. fights are great.
I like your damn face.
my fav post today. sometimes you just don't give a shit but it doesn't mean a thing.
ReplyDeletebahaha I love this! I have this problem sometimes too.. I love when people are like "whats wrong?" ..... umm nothing?
ReplyDeleteI freaking LOVE this. I get asked multiple times a day if I'm ok and what's wrong? and cheer up! and why are you always so sad? and smile! I've had two different people at work come up to me and dead seriously ask me if I have depression. I'm fine! I'm happy! I'm in a good mood! I'M JUST TRYING TO TYPE STUFF AND IGNORE YOUR EXISTENCE! BACK OFF!
ReplyDeleteI get it. I always look grumpy and even when I smile I still kinda look grumpy. It's my mouth. The corners don't go upward! When I smile, it's just straight. I was making dinner and Nolan asked me if I was happy. I said yes. He said, but you aren't smiling. So I smiled and went back to cooking. Then he said I have to keep the smile on all day if I'm happy. See? Even my kid thinks I'm a bitch.
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness... I go through the SAME thing!! I am so glad that I am not alone! All the time people me I look sad or that I don't care when I am perfectly fine! I have slowly accepted though.. We can't impress everyone. I like your faces in the pictures above!
ReplyDelete